My deck on the lake
Growing up I always had this dream of owning a house on a lake. Never had too much idea what the house itself would be like, maybe a log cabin or something like that. What I did have in mind was the deck that would be off the back of it. You would be able to go out and sit on the it and look out onto the lake as if the water had no end. It would sit close enough to the edge water that you felt you were sitting right out on the lake itself. It would face to the west so you were able to watch the sun set and disappear into the horizon as many nights as you wished. It would be built of the sturdiest of wood - maybe a light stained teak, but not cheap cuts or that plastic-wood-looking stuff. No, this deck would hold you and surround you and always make you feel secure.
Of course there would have to be a dock extending from it, I mean if you are going to live on a lake and have a great deck you have to be able to fish off of it. It would be a place of escape and peacefulness. No matter what was going on in life or the world, you could go sit on the deck and lose yourself for as long as needed.
In reality, I imagine places like these are amazing. They are the places you can go no matter the weather - you just bundle up or take an umbrella. Of course, umbrellas are overrated sometimes. Have you ever just stood out in the rain and let it fall on you? Not during a torrential downpour, but during one of those spring showers where you knew it was going to rain because you could smell it as it approached. The smell alone gets you excited because it reminds you of "when you were a kid" and you take a look at the leaves on the trees to see if they have flipped yet (did you know leaves on trees turn inside-out right before it rains?).
The raindrops fall on you and roll away. Getting wet is the last thing on your mind. You close your eyes and just listen, breathe, and feel. The sensation is massaging to your body and cleansing to your soul. As each drop rolls away it takes tension, anxiety, and negative energy with it. As you listen you hear the difference of the rain on the trees, the rooftops, and the ground. The sounds become harmonious and you may even find yourself humming along with them. The compilation of it all takes you somewhere different than the reality you live. Your mind builds the picture and for a moment you are there - on a deck, overlooking a lake, listening to the rain across the water, watching the sun set.
For a moment, life is perfect.
It's been quite a long time since I had thought about my deck on the lake. I actually am having hard time continuing to write because I keep thinking back to it. For a moment I close my eyes and picture it. I smile. A part in me tries to say "that was then, this is now" yet I refuse to listen. Maybe I need to start going back there again. After all these years the fishing must be amazing. As much as I think I remember what the sun looked like across the water, I bet it is breathtaking beyond my memory. The small saplings must now be mature and I imagine they have produced plenty of leaves to cover the deck. I wonder if the wood still shows wear from walking the same path and sitting in the same spot. Maybe I will sit to the side of that, as if joining and old friend. I bet as I sat down, Ali would come to join me. Yes, Ali would have been at the lake for a while now and has probably been waiting for my return. As I sat, I would soon hear the leaves rustling as she bolts through them, her tags jingling in their distinctive tone to announce that it is her approaching. Even if in the imagination, a joyous reunion that words cannot describe. This must be what heaven is like.
Although my heart aches a little that the trips are only short lived, I need to remember that I can go back often. Yes, I do believe that it is time to go to the lake again.
Of course there would have to be a dock extending from it, I mean if you are going to live on a lake and have a great deck you have to be able to fish off of it. It would be a place of escape and peacefulness. No matter what was going on in life or the world, you could go sit on the deck and lose yourself for as long as needed.
In reality, I imagine places like these are amazing. They are the places you can go no matter the weather - you just bundle up or take an umbrella. Of course, umbrellas are overrated sometimes. Have you ever just stood out in the rain and let it fall on you? Not during a torrential downpour, but during one of those spring showers where you knew it was going to rain because you could smell it as it approached. The smell alone gets you excited because it reminds you of "when you were a kid" and you take a look at the leaves on the trees to see if they have flipped yet (did you know leaves on trees turn inside-out right before it rains?).
The raindrops fall on you and roll away. Getting wet is the last thing on your mind. You close your eyes and just listen, breathe, and feel. The sensation is massaging to your body and cleansing to your soul. As each drop rolls away it takes tension, anxiety, and negative energy with it. As you listen you hear the difference of the rain on the trees, the rooftops, and the ground. The sounds become harmonious and you may even find yourself humming along with them. The compilation of it all takes you somewhere different than the reality you live. Your mind builds the picture and for a moment you are there - on a deck, overlooking a lake, listening to the rain across the water, watching the sun set.
For a moment, life is perfect.
It's been quite a long time since I had thought about my deck on the lake. I actually am having hard time continuing to write because I keep thinking back to it. For a moment I close my eyes and picture it. I smile. A part in me tries to say "that was then, this is now" yet I refuse to listen. Maybe I need to start going back there again. After all these years the fishing must be amazing. As much as I think I remember what the sun looked like across the water, I bet it is breathtaking beyond my memory. The small saplings must now be mature and I imagine they have produced plenty of leaves to cover the deck. I wonder if the wood still shows wear from walking the same path and sitting in the same spot. Maybe I will sit to the side of that, as if joining and old friend. I bet as I sat down, Ali would come to join me. Yes, Ali would have been at the lake for a while now and has probably been waiting for my return. As I sat, I would soon hear the leaves rustling as she bolts through them, her tags jingling in their distinctive tone to announce that it is her approaching. Even if in the imagination, a joyous reunion that words cannot describe. This must be what heaven is like.
Although my heart aches a little that the trips are only short lived, I need to remember that I can go back often. Yes, I do believe that it is time to go to the lake again.