Photo of the day - Jan 3
In Danville, you will caught by a train more than you won't. For a time when an underpass was being fixed, there was not a way to get from one end of town to the other without getting stuck by a train. Coming home from church today was no exception.
Trains are really neat. When I was a youth, we had the coolest train set-up. Where I lived at the time had a 4-car garage, a quarter of which had been finished to house the square dance shop my mom and stepfather ran. After the shop closed, we got it to set up our train.
On top of two 4x8 sheets of plywood (so that would be...4x16) we had an amazing layout. Tracks everywhere (kind of like Danville), an air force base, town, woods and parks, and more. We had the house kits, accessories, and of course, the trains. I remember we wanted a lake that looked kind of realistic, so we took a small round mirror and painted it with glue mixed with blue food coloring. It came out awesome. At one point we had up to 3 separately controlled trains that could run at the same time.
When we moved out of the house, the train came down. We would not live somewhere big enough to set it up again.
Several years ago, Joe set part of it up in his basement for a time. It was like a trip down memory lane. I've often thought, now that my car doesn't fit in my garage (small garage), that I might ask Joe if I can set it up here. Of course I will wait until it is a lot warmer!
