The Fishing Project - Part 1 - Must have a place to work

Chris was leaving for two weeks. Yes, *TWO* weeks. As a result of some other things, and I guess the timing, I asked her if I could make her a fishing game. I told her it would be something to keep me and my mind busy while she was gone. She said sure. I had no idea what that would entail, yet I had the go-ahead.

This would mean working in the workshop. I had not been out there for well over a year, maybe close to two, at least for no extended period of time. We can thank the anxiety monster for that. Then, last fall and winter, the weather took care of the old workbench that was outside. Of course, then my absence from the area let the weeds grow up and etc. This was not condusive to carpentry of any kind. If I was going to build, I had start by building a place to build.

With a deep breath, I closed my eyes and told myself, "I can do this. Take it slow, take your time, no rush, no hurry, no expectations." I opened my eyes, surveyed the situation, and started in.


First was clearing out everything. Grandpa Blew's 2-headed axe took care of that big weed/tree thingy quite well. Some raking and a new spool on the weed-eater helped the rest.

The base board sure didn't look level by the eye, yet the tools do not lie. I actually ended up dropping it about 8 inches which worked perfect in the end. Although it looked weird and off to start with, in the end it was perfect.

It took some creativity to balance boards and all with one person and all, yet it was not the first time I had done it. Once the frame was up and set, it started taking good shape.

I had just enough deck boards left over to do the top. All the wood was treated lumber so it was already weather resistant.
Some support to the front and all set. Grandpa Morris always said when he built something that it may not be great for looks, but it is hell for strength. This will hold up to anything!
Ready to take on all kinds of projects. One of the next ones coming up will be restoring my grandpa's "The Blews" sign that he made and hung on their garage for many, many years.

Popular posts from this blog

Never a failure again

No more numbers

Checking in