TBT - Big Red Hearts
Nothing says "Happy Valentine's Day" than a cheesy dance photo from the 70's! Yes, that is me in the front row, 2nd from the left. Feel free to laugh, I do every time I see this. Of all my class photos (I danced for about 10 years when I was younger - several more as an adult), I always cracked up so hard at this one simply because the group of us look like anything but ballet dancers. This may have been one of the last years I did ballet - I took it until I was old enough to start begging my mom not to make me do it. I was handed a pair of tap shoes and the rest was history. Loved tapping (still do!)
So, at picture time, the photographer would have these huge prints in order to showcase the packages, etc. There was always one that was like 17x24 or something. No, not really exaggerating there, it was huge. It almost was always one of the "elite" dancers and usually one of the same few each year. You pretty much knew who would be in the showcase photos.
Apparently I was quite photogenic that year as we came in after the promo pictures had been put out and there I was in the big, huge, possibly the size of a Macy's parade float, photo.
Now, I know this was a few years ago, yet there are some key elements that I remember without fail. That headpiece thing (and the many others through the years) were a nightmare. They dug into the sides of your head until you had bald spots on each side. They were held in place by two Bobbie pins that slipped through each side and dug deeper into your head. It was ok, I was used to that, with hair down my back that had to be put up, I had so many of those pins in my skull that I still find stray ones to this date.
I know it looks kind of plastic in the photo, yet that was good old red satin and tulle, or in other words, hot and itchy. At least the fishnet hose would not make an appearance for several more years. Talk about "burned in your brain" moments (probably anyone who ever danced will relate to this) sometimes I look at these photos and am reminded of "the talk" we would get from our instructor each year that we were NOT to wear panties under our tights because the black lights would make them glow. We were shamed through the possibility of everyone starting at us because our undies were being spotlighted on the big stage.
I remember many years ago when I was reminded of this and I thought, hey, that wasn't true. So, to those who are current little dancers, it is proper dance etiquette not to wear panties. That is what camisoles and tights are for. Know the correct reason why. It has nothing to do with your ya-ya glowing under a black light. (Because, if this is happening, there is a much bigger issue going on than the fact you wore undies.)
As for the big, huge print, I was able to relive the glory for years to come as my mom got to keep it. It hung in the house for many years until I was a teenager. I have no clue where it ever ended up.
So, happy Valentine's Throwback Thursday!
So, at picture time, the photographer would have these huge prints in order to showcase the packages, etc. There was always one that was like 17x24 or something. No, not really exaggerating there, it was huge. It almost was always one of the "elite" dancers and usually one of the same few each year. You pretty much knew who would be in the showcase photos.
Apparently I was quite photogenic that year as we came in after the promo pictures had been put out and there I was in the big, huge, possibly the size of a Macy's parade float, photo.
Now, I know this was a few years ago, yet there are some key elements that I remember without fail. That headpiece thing (and the many others through the years) were a nightmare. They dug into the sides of your head until you had bald spots on each side. They were held in place by two Bobbie pins that slipped through each side and dug deeper into your head. It was ok, I was used to that, with hair down my back that had to be put up, I had so many of those pins in my skull that I still find stray ones to this date.
I know it looks kind of plastic in the photo, yet that was good old red satin and tulle, or in other words, hot and itchy. At least the fishnet hose would not make an appearance for several more years. Talk about "burned in your brain" moments (probably anyone who ever danced will relate to this) sometimes I look at these photos and am reminded of "the talk" we would get from our instructor each year that we were NOT to wear panties under our tights because the black lights would make them glow. We were shamed through the possibility of everyone starting at us because our undies were being spotlighted on the big stage.
I remember many years ago when I was reminded of this and I thought, hey, that wasn't true. So, to those who are current little dancers, it is proper dance etiquette not to wear panties. That is what camisoles and tights are for. Know the correct reason why. It has nothing to do with your ya-ya glowing under a black light. (Because, if this is happening, there is a much bigger issue going on than the fact you wore undies.)
As for the big, huge print, I was able to relive the glory for years to come as my mom got to keep it. It hung in the house for many years until I was a teenager. I have no clue where it ever ended up.
So, happy Valentine's Throwback Thursday!

