Meds suck

Meet my arch nemesis. Ok, so I probably should not describe it that way. Wait, I have the choice to feel about it how I choose about it. I hate it. I hated being on meds years ago and I still do. It makes me feel like a failure. Now, let me note that I do not believe that anyone who takes medication is a failure. No, this is most certainly my own personal battle.

I went back on meds last February after managing to stay off of them for a few years. I knew with where I was, I needed help with getting my mind to settle down a bit. Although my mind still ran at great speed, they caused it to do at a much quieter pace. Instead of being inside the gym with the screaming kids, it was like I moved down the hall. The action was still the same, just the volume was turned down. It "tones" down things in my mind when I sleep too. Dreams are not as vivid in color or action and I actually feel like I have slept. When I was on the max dose before, I always felt emotionless yet then again that with no coping skills was just how it was.

I am not really sure what it does chemically and all of that. I asked Lynn a couple times and she was supposed to email me some information, yet she never did. I read stuff online yet do not always understand it.

I was doing quite well with taking it until this past summer. I had gotten into the habit of taking it each morning when the boys were here. I had an alarm set to which I would ask Jordan "what time is it?" and he would reply "little blue pill time!" By the end of summer I was struggling with forgetting to take it at times and just haven't gotten back on a schedule. I keep forgetting. Then I would do good for a while, then I would forget for a few days. Not seeing Lynn since July hasn't helped either. That was a way I helped keep myself accountable and it helped to check in and touch base on how I was doing on them. With not getting in to see Lynn and realizing that taking it every few days then stopping probably was not the best for my body either, I just quit taking it. Not worried about effects, I stopped cold-turkey when I was taking twice the dosage I am now.

I did good for a while. Thought maybe I was going to be able to stay on top of it for a while. Can't say that dreaming in color again has been bad. The downside? My mind is so loud again. Very distracting loud. I can't focus even the little that I had worked up to. I am more easily distracted. I can't remember things from one hour to the next. And, although I am physically sleeping a good amount of time, my mind is not shutting down so I can actually rest and recover. And now my body gets to acclimate to it all over again.

It has been good (yes, I am actually going to admit to this) to feel on a little larger scale. It's been good because it has been like getting a bigger perspective of things. Oh, don't get me wrong, it has also been quite scary and sometimes a little overwhelming. Matter of fact, most emotions and feelings have been intensified. At times that has been fine and other times it has been a little dangerous.

Today, I gave in. I popped open the bottle and took my meds. I am not strong enough yet to make it without them. I have done well with choosing better behaviors, although I haven't learned to control the loudness enough yet. I can't shut things down to sleep and my body is so tired. It frustrates me and I am not letting it beat me up like I would in the past. I am not happy about having to take meds and I know I still need them to get healthy. More acceptance work.

Tomorrow, though, is my day once again. Another 35 complete and a chance to celebrate making some really good strides. I am recently being told a lot that I am making great strides and doing really well with my choices and behaviors. I even allow myself to enjoy the complements a little and that is a really big step for me. There is one comment, in particular, that I always get excited to hear. It is a special one to me and when someone offers it without prompting, then I know I am doing things right - right by God, right by those I love, and right by me. I know I am doing good.

This is what 70 looks like.

Popular posts from this blog

Never a failure again

No more numbers

Checking in