Disciples of the Lord


Elders Brown, Reay, Vaka, Jones, Brooks, and D'Ewart
In the Book of Mormon there are several stories about "Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah." These four spent a large amount of time for years trying to destroy the church any way they could. (I guess some things don't really change through time, I went to school with some kids whose fathers were pastors and they were pretty rebellious too.)

One day an angel appears to the four and commands them to stop their evil course. Other events transpire and in the end Alma and his friends are all converted to the Lord. They would go on to minister of Christ together, yet after a while Alma went one direction and the three sons of Mosiah went another so more people could hear the gospel. The story continues that many years later, while journeying and preaching, Alma ran into his friends and all rejoiced to see one another again, and even more so that they all were still strong in the faith.

I had the chance this morning to catch up with more of my missionaries that had previously served in Danville. As each set got there my heart swelled and I rejoiced to see them again. Elder Jones had transferred out back in September, Reay earlier in the year, Jones and Brooks back in December. Of course, I got to meet two more to add to my family, Elders Vaka and  D'Ewart. We laughed and I listened to them talk about the things they have learned since leaving the area. They all had grown so much. Their eyes shined as they talked about things and their spirits testified of stories. They had changed, and it was a wonderful thing to see.

Elder Brown wanted to know how I was really doing. You can communicate a lot in email, yet to sit and look into someone's eyes and ask the same questions doesn't leave room for beating around the bush. Just as Sisters Sudweeks and Scott had played a major role in this past summer/fall, it was Brown and Brooks on the Elder's side of things. I told him how I was, and even though it was still a struggle sometimes, I was doing so much better. I shared how this trip had helped quite a bit and now I had to go home and try to process a lot of it. I returned his questions back at him - we had many deep discussions in regards to his struggles as well. I asked him (as he had just asked me) on scale of 1-10, how his testimony was compared to 6 months ago. He said the biggest change was that it was now his and not someone else's that he just borrowed. I could not have been happier to hear that. I fed them, hugged them, and sent them on their way to do the work.  My boys were well, and I was happy.

"Mascoutah Selfie" with E. Zamora and Erickson!
It was a good end to the trip. Yes, the purpose of the trip was to go to Arkansas and tend to the family matters there, yet a large part of the planning of driving routes was done so I could make these visits.

Staring Thursday night in Mascoutah with Elders Erickson and Zamora, a later stop to see Sister Sudweeks and Larimer and my last stop before heading home with the six this morning. Now I have to go back and look after the ones in Danville too.

We will all see each other again and when that happens, the reunion will be just as amazing. No matter where we are on our paths, our hearts will rejoice to be in one another's presence. Until then though, we all keep fighting the battle and spreading the good word....kind of the modern day Alma and the sons of Mosiah.

Popular posts from this blog

Never a failure again

No more numbers

Checking in