Today for me: Tuesday
12 hours round trip, 500+ miles, two tanks of gas, and visits with a handful of missionaries. That pretty much sums up this day. Oh, milk and bread. I bought those on the way home. Ok, probably not really a "something for myself" although I did need them so I think they could be classified as such.
Today was "LaFonda's last ride" as it was quickly dubbed. Allow me to explain. Before the holidays when I went to the gyno for my current issues, my missionaries became really concerned if I was going to be ok (both the sisters AND the elders). So, to make conversations and communications a little more appropriate for public consumption, they "discretely" named my uterus "LaFonda". Therefore, they could say "what's happening with LaFonda" instead of yelling down the church hallway, "Hey, how's your uterus!" It also makes text messaging and emailing much easier. I am a little embarrassed to admit just how many missionaries are in on this and yet they still love me - possibly even more. They have decided to call this Thursday "fry LaFonda" day. And this is just one of many reasons why I love them.
Today, for me, I:
Went and saw Elder Erickson. I contacted him last week to see if I could take him and his companion out to lunch today. I knew spending some time with them laughing and hearing how the work in their area was going would calm me down (yah, pretty freaked out over Thursday. Enough that the nightmares started back up). We were able to chat for a while and he assured me that all was going to be fine, not to worry, and to have faith. He let me know that they would be praying for me and for the medical staff that would be attending to me. Then he just smiled and pointed at me "sternly" and said, "no more nightmares!" I hope my subconscious was listening!
Saw Sister Sudweeks (as a bonus). It just happened that today was district meeting (several companionships make up a district) and so my visit included getting to see Sudweeks again. We had not really seen each other since she served here about a year ago. She has had a lot of struggles and continues to hang in there. I worry a lot about her although there is only so much I can do or help with. It was good to catch up on hugs and laughs!
Fed the district. Hey, you can't preach about Jesus on an empty stomach! I was able to make new friends with missionaries I had not met yet. They were very thankful for the meal as they had planned on going to Burger King because it "had a dollar menu."
Stopped in Litchfield to see Bierman and McCoy. I realized as I was down in Waterloo, that I could go back home via 55, thus being able to stop through and see Sisters Bierman and McCoy. Bierman had been in Charleston for several months then had been transferred to Fulton on the other side of St. Louis. This past transfer brought her back into Illinois and closer for me to catch up with. The district got lunch and the Sisters got dinner. Yes, there are 10 very full missionaries out there today!! We went for the selfie and just could not get the camera out far enough in front. The fact we were all laughing and trying to smile could not have helped!
Practiced my skills. Ok, so with a little help from Photoshop and a bit of silliness, I could not help myself. Seriously, I had to focus to do this...mindfulness all the way....LOL! While traveling up 55, I had forgotten I would pass the big pink elephant. This is actually quite the interesting place overall. Hunter and I used to stop at it on our way to St. Louis and I think I may have taken Jordan there once. Definitely a place that brings a smile to your face. The missionaries that have seen it that have listened to me talk about class always get a kick out of it. They keep asking if my "blue donkey friend" has seen it yet. I am going to guess that she probably has [have you?]. And hey, I found the blue donkey! Oh, and it is called the "Pink Elephant Antique Mall" - see, it just keeps getting funnier!
Today was "LaFonda's last ride" as it was quickly dubbed. Allow me to explain. Before the holidays when I went to the gyno for my current issues, my missionaries became really concerned if I was going to be ok (both the sisters AND the elders). So, to make conversations and communications a little more appropriate for public consumption, they "discretely" named my uterus "LaFonda". Therefore, they could say "what's happening with LaFonda" instead of yelling down the church hallway, "Hey, how's your uterus!" It also makes text messaging and emailing much easier. I am a little embarrassed to admit just how many missionaries are in on this and yet they still love me - possibly even more. They have decided to call this Thursday "fry LaFonda" day. And this is just one of many reasons why I love them.
Today, for me, I:
Went and saw Elder Erickson. I contacted him last week to see if I could take him and his companion out to lunch today. I knew spending some time with them laughing and hearing how the work in their area was going would calm me down (yah, pretty freaked out over Thursday. Enough that the nightmares started back up). We were able to chat for a while and he assured me that all was going to be fine, not to worry, and to have faith. He let me know that they would be praying for me and for the medical staff that would be attending to me. Then he just smiled and pointed at me "sternly" and said, "no more nightmares!" I hope my subconscious was listening!
Saw Sister Sudweeks (as a bonus). It just happened that today was district meeting (several companionships make up a district) and so my visit included getting to see Sudweeks again. We had not really seen each other since she served here about a year ago. She has had a lot of struggles and continues to hang in there. I worry a lot about her although there is only so much I can do or help with. It was good to catch up on hugs and laughs!
Fed the district. Hey, you can't preach about Jesus on an empty stomach! I was able to make new friends with missionaries I had not met yet. They were very thankful for the meal as they had planned on going to Burger King because it "had a dollar menu."
Stopped in Litchfield to see Bierman and McCoy. I realized as I was down in Waterloo, that I could go back home via 55, thus being able to stop through and see Sisters Bierman and McCoy. Bierman had been in Charleston for several months then had been transferred to Fulton on the other side of St. Louis. This past transfer brought her back into Illinois and closer for me to catch up with. The district got lunch and the Sisters got dinner. Yes, there are 10 very full missionaries out there today!! We went for the selfie and just could not get the camera out far enough in front. The fact we were all laughing and trying to smile could not have helped!
Practiced my skills. Ok, so with a little help from Photoshop and a bit of silliness, I could not help myself. Seriously, I had to focus to do this...mindfulness all the way....LOL! While traveling up 55, I had forgotten I would pass the big pink elephant. This is actually quite the interesting place overall. Hunter and I used to stop at it on our way to St. Louis and I think I may have taken Jordan there once. Definitely a place that brings a smile to your face. The missionaries that have seen it that have listened to me talk about class always get a kick out of it. They keep asking if my "blue donkey friend" has seen it yet. I am going to guess that she probably has [have you?]. And hey, I found the blue donkey! Oh, and it is called the "Pink Elephant Antique Mall" - see, it just keeps getting funnier!


