A few of...

We were Sound of Music nuts when I was growing up. Anytime it was on TV, we watched it. It was one of the few guaranteed family events. I quickly learned the lyrics to the songs and can still sing them today. There was always singing in our house, so the fact that I can almost recite "my favorite things" backwards is no surprise. To be a kid again and see the world so innocently.

I almost chose not to write today then I realized I had to. For one thing, I am kind of on a roll for daily posts and I do enjoy writing. Even more so, I enjoy being able to create posts that are just about random, happy things. It is nice to not always be in some emotional dilemma. Oh, worry not, I am sure that will roll back around. For today, though, it is about a few of my favorite things.

Glass pitchers. When we were kids, we had this glass pitcher that was always full of orange kool-aid. I rarely remember it empty or with anything else in it. Once in a while we might get another flavor, yet most of the time it was orange. It was always known as the kool-aid pitcher. Something about a glass pitcher, it just seemed right. Sure, we had plastic pitchers, yet getting a glass of kool-aid from the glass pitcher could cure any bump, bruise, scrape, or tear. It was like happiness in a cup...well, of course we had the metal cups!!

When I moved back to Charleston in '98, the best housewarming present I got was the infamous glass pitcher. Granted, it rarely got orange kool-aid mixed in it simply because I drank so much of it as a kid that I could not really stand it. So it lived on with grape and cherry! A couple years later it happened, it cracked and broke. A 20+ year reign had ended and glass pitchers were not easy to come by. I was devastated.

About four years ago my mom was working at this antique shop and in came a glass pitcher with an American Eagle etched on it. She did not even put it out to sell, she used her discount, bought it, and surprised me with a new glass pitcher. I have long since moved away from kool-aid, yet my pitcher is almost always full of Argentine yerba mate! Yes, my etched glass pitcher makes me smile.

Brown leather boots. Ok, so I am not happy with the dreary, crappy weather we have had this winter and at the same time I am glad to get a lot of mileage out of my boots. It's all about the "light brown leather" ones. I am not sure I could explain it other than they make me feel more empowered or something. Plus they go with jeans so much better. I haven't found a pair that fit for several years and luck came my way this year. Like my brown boots in the past, I will wear them until they fall apart.

I know, it is crazy sounding, thus remember who you are dealing with here. I have some irrational connection in my brain between my favorite boots and being able to cope. Life will be ok because I am wearing my boots. I have even been known to sleep in my boots. Sometimes you just have to do what you just have to do to get by. If my boots make me happy, then let me be happy.

Walking on the cuff of your pants. I love pants that are too short to roll and too long to not drag. They get caught under the heel of your shoe (or boot) and the back of them eventually get worn. It is all about making your jeans comfy I guess. My grandmother would have a fit. My mom would just grab some pinking shears and "hem" them. I kind of like walking on them. Then again, I am weird like that. I have also found that sometimes, it annoys the crap out of people and since I do find joy at times in annoying people, I continue to do it. Quirks. Yes, I have them. I delight in them. They make me unique.

This guy. It is not often that the missionaries send me pictures in their emails, so what a great surprise from Elder Erickson. His birthday was this past week and Jordan and I had sent him a box of goodies that he was showing off that he received. I would always give him grief about his ties, often saying something like "did you steal that from your grandfather?" He said he wore one the other day and his companion said that his grandmother had a couch that was made from the same material. His bad ties have become his signature so Jordan and I stopped at Goodwill to find him more for his collection. I let him know I would not be offended if I never saw them on him or if they got re-gifted. I laughed as he is sporting the pink paisley one (which I guessed he would wear first) in the photo. He noted that he and his companion will be sporting their "lick and stick" moustaches at district meeting this week. I had two birthdays while on my mission. Yes, you appreciate the serious gifts, yet you relish the crazy fun ones. All the missionaries bring a smile to my face, especially this one.

Popular posts from this blog

Never a failure again

No more numbers

Checking in