Homework - Pros/Cons
I looked at the clock after spending the last few hours making a huge glue, water, confetti, and glitter mess in my living room and thought "Whoo Hoo, it's bedtime!" Then I remembered, I have homework due in the morning. Although I am pretty sure I could get a free pass, as I was doing something to help with my anxiety, I have to do my assignment. Besides, I am not working tomorrow anyways, so I can take a nap.
My assignment was to work on some Pros/Cons scenarios. I was to do at least one for tomorrow. I can choose from:
Alright, which to choose, which to choose. Let's go with safe/not safe or the more obvious self destructive behaviors (ie, hurt myself/don't hurt myself.)
Pros for self-harming (not staying safe):
Cons for self-harming (not staying safe):
My assignment was to work on some Pros/Cons scenarios. I was to do at least one for tomorrow. I can choose from:
- Sitting in the fear (Just read that again, thought it was sitting WITH fear, way to go Chris, pulled a fast one on me, sitting IN is going to be harder to do!) versus not sitting in it.
- Believing things were my fault versus knowing it not my fault
- To be safe with self versus not be safe with self
Alright, which to choose, which to choose. Let's go with safe/not safe or the more obvious self destructive behaviors (ie, hurt myself/don't hurt myself.)
Pros for self-harming (not staying safe):
- Shifts the focus of the pain from emotional to physical
- Avoids "sitting with the emotion" because am afraid I can't do it
- Quick fix, release of "emotional pressure" or quieting of mind
- Familiar behavior, I know it works
- Method of self-punishment
- Believe that I will feel better afterwards (even if it temporary)
- Do not have to contact another for help (feel like I am bothering or being a burden)
- There is a "rush" that comes with it sometimes that makes me almost pass out and thus allowing me to escape for a time
- Although I don't want to die, I want things to stop and be quiet, and for a brief moment, it does.
- Sometimes I hope someone will find me (passed out or hurt), not to get attention, yet to get me the help I am afraid to ask for.
Cons for self-harming (not staying safe):
- Could do permanent damage to my health and/or body
- Could accidentally die
- Followed up with guilt and shame
- Not learning to work through emotions
- Reinforces unhealthy behavior pattern
- Reinforces negative views about self
- It makes people upset when they find out
- When something doesn't work, desire to increase intensity or action
- When don't get effect I am after, I continue the behavior or follow up with another
- Could land me in hospital
- Could lose trust of people
- Could lose privilege of being alone with nephews
- Some view it as attention seeking behavior
- I don't learn to ask for help in a healthy way
- Realize I do have tools to sit with emotions
- Not risking injury or damage to body
- Learn that those who say will help me, really will
- Learn that I can get through the moment without physical pain
- Reinforces healthy behaviors
- Sets positive example for others
- The more I choose healthy behaviors, it will soon replace the unhealthy ones.
- People won't worry about me so much
- I can learn to ask for help and realize I am not going to be berated or laughed at or rejected
- I can learn to trust myself and my decisions when in distress
- Keeps me from ending up in the hospital again
- I might learn I am not worth harming
- I have to sit with emotions and feelings that are uncomfortable and/or difficult
- No immediate fix
- I have to figure out the help I need, what is the answer to "how can I help you" and most times I don't know the answer
- I have to seek out and ask for help and that is frightening
- I will have to trust myself
- I may have to depend on others for help and I have issues with believing someone will really help me "in the moment"
- It is unfamiliar and scary
- I might have to accept I am not worth harming