Sandbox time

I was never allowed to have play-doh when growing up - at least not at home. I was, however, allowed to have it at my Grandma Blew's house. I would sit at the kitchen table for hours playing with it, making shapes, houses, fish, and whatever things came into my mind. Far from an artist, what I saw it representing and what it looked like in reality were generally two very different things. Sometimes, when Grandma made pies, instead of the play-doh, I got the leftover scraps of dough to roll, shape, and create. The best part of that....it was edible!

A few weeks back, my therapist introduced me to what I have come to accept as the coolest thing since silly putty....kinetic sand. There are number of reasons I place this at the top of the list, yet the easiest way to explain it is simply...it is just flipping cool to play with!!!! Oh yah, then that whole relaxing, distracting, and stuff like that. My pile of sand at home gets a workout almost daily. It is kind of making up for all those anti-play-doh years. I keep some at work (along with my silly putty) and I laugh when my co-workers on my side will come into my office and note that they are beyond stressed out and need to play with my sand.

Today, I needed to think of something other than food, my issues with it, and how rough the road ahead is going to be. Going back to the "do something for you", I pulled out my box of sand and just started playing. Usually, I just run my hands through it, maybe make a few lumps, watch it break apart (which is just so cool), and then put it back up. This afternoon, I just turned back into that little kid and let my imagination play as well. I do have to laugh, as some things never change, what I saw in my mind and what came out in the sand....not so much a match. Yet, isn't that the best thing about the imagination? There really are no rules or boundaries.

Although done playing in the sand, not done doing for me. I'm off for a nap. Seeing that "better sleeping through chemistry" allows you to really be dead to the world through the night, the withdraws from pulling that trick are not always fun and do not generally include good nights of sleep. It is what it is, I can't beat myself up for that too right now.

With that, enjoy my interesting creations!

I knew I had these little containers stashed in the kitchen for a reason!

Ok, so this one is pretty explanatory.....I hope.....

Seriously, it is Frogger...I promise.....

No clue, although it did remind me of one of the reactors at 3-mile Island, or those brick oven things in the southwest.

There was no point to this other than slapping a ball on a pile of sand. Although, it did lead to the making of this guy.....

It's an octopus....really.

Bahahahahaha.....footprint in the sand!!!!!

If you are going to make a footprint, you had to make a paw print too.

Popular posts from this blog

Never a failure again

No more numbers

Checking in